antara fangirl histeris dan pembaca sotoy.

Sunday 3 February 2013

Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer

(sorry for grammar mistakes, I'm still working on my english!)
A few weeks ago my friend bought Struck By Lightning (shoutout to Bila for having the best taste at choosing awesome books!). Chris Colfer! This guy write YA too? I saw his book once, but fairytale is not my thing. As opposed, fairytale is so Chris Colfer. Literally, the first thing I that comes into my mind when I hear his name is little elves. I'm a little worried of how this will turn out. He could've write a crap and throw it to a publisher, knowing that people would buy them after seeing his name on the cover right? Wrong.

This is Carson Phillips' journal, a super ambitious guy who would do anything to reach his dreams: get into Northwestern and become a New Yorker editor. He's laying at the bottom of the high school food chain, it would be hard to get people to submit for his literary magazine, a ticket to his dream college. But everyone has a secret they're hiding. Carson is blackmailing his way to Northwestern with the help of his sidekick fellow underdog, Malerie.

I really love this book. It's one of those books that form deep connection with me. Maybe it's because the relatable main character. Guess who also loathe her school and thinks everyone around her is total peasants? You get it. Carson is a bitter jerk, and he looks down to everyone. He irritates me at the beginning, but further, I figured out that Carson has been through so much, yet he's still misunderstood and under appreciated. Everyone roots for underdogs!! Getting out of this town is his only chance proving everyone that he's not what they think he is. Nobody's perfect. Even the bullies are not entirely evil. It's not Harry Potter vs Voldemort or Katniss vs Capitol. It's life!

After blackmailing his peers, he discovered more about himself and people around him. Understanding life. Watching him became wiser, it touched my heart somehow. Chris also did a very good job pouring real life issues in this book: LGBT, self-harm, depression, love life. The book seems more real than my life, is that even possible?

There's also a film, but it wasn't in the theatre because it was digitally released, it's available on iTunes or here for you pirates. Totally recommended. In the film we can see scenes that happened when Carson wasn't around, which wasn't mentioned in the books. It was fun watching Chris Colfer going all snarky and evil, as opposed to Kurt Hummel of Glee, the typical nice fashionable gay. Love Rebel Wilson!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Pandora's Review, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena